Its common knowledge that on You Tube, if you video doesn’t get to 300, you might as well delete it. This past weekend I had opportunity to go through my videos… more so looking for the poorly viewed videos and giving myself a reason for it. I was analysing a few things:
- Name of Video Sucks?
- Name of Video is too specific for the searches?
- The video quality is poor?
- The video is too slow or too fast?
- There’s no interest in the tutorial being taught?
- The colour of the project being taught is boring?
More So… Mikeyssmail was started with my students from New York. You remember, it was my way of communicating with them about the trucking world… then the sponsorship ended as I came off the road. Many trucking vids were online still. So I had to make a decision.
WHAT IS MIKEYSSMAIL?
- Though I work right in the trucking industry as an administrator, and I love my job and are fascinated with it… being what I am causes my view counts to be low. The video counts in the high trucking vids I have are usually laced with hate and racist comments made toward me…. So why bother to keep it up there?
- I had to think about my viewership and who are the fine people who follow along and are up to date with my projects… Do they care about me in the trucking industry or are they more in tune with my creative side?
- I describe Mikeyssmail to strangers as a creative outlet. You can learn something, share something, and be proud of something you accomplished… Are there videos in my library that are not echoing that sentiment… such as talking about life issues and at times controversial topics?
- Based on the trucking vids and general life… what am I trying to accomplish?
It all comes down to the DELETE BUTTON… What stays and what goes…
- There were a few videos with high counts where the information I presented were clearly wrong… I’ve learned plenty along this journey and tips that 2 years ago I had no idea about. DELETE
- There were some tutorials were there is no interest… DELETE
- In trying to simplify and put myself on a diet… I am trying the concept of bringing the many video tutorials together into ONE MASSIVE video to follow along… it saves the viewer jumping to find the next video. So you may notice 20 – 30 videos of a tutorial gone but have been replaced by a jumbo video showing the same thing.
In the end… over 200 videos were deleted from my library on You Tube… I came up with a decision… MIKEYSSMAIL IS ABOUT CREATIVITY! Keep the channel creative based to always learn something…
- Whether it be a How To Tutorial on Cooking, Renovation, or Crochet.
- Whether it be Diva Dan and I kayaking through the woods and really finding inspiration in the every day things…
- Many videos of Diva Dan and I got deleted that were everyday normal things but just him and I goofing off. Some of the very funny ones stayed online.
So… there you have it… I’m taking a break from Crochet tonight… It’s my FRIDAY today and I want to just veg!