Icy Snowflake Afghan Solution

Michael Sellick

Michael Sellick, Creative Director and Video Host for The Crochet Crowd

In December 2013, I created a video and shared links for the Icy Snowflake Throw.

I received notice that I had to take down the pattern and video. This also included the photo galleries of finish afghans that we were collecting. They were gorgeous afghans and everyone should be so very proud.

Cathy and I have received many complaints from crocheters who were in mid-project that were using the video and were using the pattern online as they hooked and weren’t able to finish before the take down. Thankfully, all responses have been gracious and understanding, though I know most of them are unhappy to have an unfinished project. Thank you ever so much for being so cool. I know you don’t have to be.

Due to reasons that are beyond Red Heart & my control, we are unable to provide assistance, pattern support and restore the video to help you at this time.

Solution

You can get help and information pertaining to this pattern, you need to contact patternhelp@maggiescrochet.com. Their online assistance can put you back on the right track. That’s the best solution I can offer you.

Thank you sincerely for your understanding.

About these ads

About Michael Sellick

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Icy Snowflake Afghan Solution

1. Lisa says:

I guess I learned a good lesson – print the pattern, watch the video, make notes, slip into protective sleeve, snap into notebook.

2. Lori says:

The patterns that I find online may produce the same throw, but they are not doing it the way Mikey did in his video. Does anyone have the pattern the way he did it?

3. lynnr40 says:

WOW that’s so unreal for Mikey to have to take down his video after he puts so much hard work Into these videos ! At least no one is blaming him for some one else’s bad choice ! Glad to see all of his loyal fans being so understanding and so generous in helping each other ! This is a great community of people !!

4. Ann Dennis says:

copyright laws were meant to protect inventors and writers and artists interests but it has gotten so confusing and even mean. It is also so costly to fight a false claim the best that Red Heart can do is remove the pattern and hope that a group like this will assist those that aren’t done finish.

5. Mancy Pants says:

What a shame , I have the pattern printed out, but no video might be tricky for me. these things happen though ‘sigh”

6. DeAnn says:

So sorry to hear they did that to you Mikey! Now, knowing you from the videos you do, I’m sure you can come up with another pattern somewhat close to that one and they won’t be able to do anything about it–RIGHT!!!!???!!!! :)

7. Sue McEndree says:

I don’t know why RedHeart decided to discontinue the pattern. I have it printed out & from Mikey’s video tutorial, I was able to understand what to do. If anyone needs help with it, please message me on FB & I’ll try to help you with it. I’m working on one for my daughter & have it just about half finished, but at least I know what to do & can get it finished.

8. Angy says:

angelicka@live.com can someone please email me a copy or PDF thanks a bunch

9. Kathryn O'Dell says:

I just printed it out from Ravelry – typed in ICY Snowflake and it appeared right away.

10. Cara Worland says:

I hate to hear this. It was one of the projects that I was planning.

11. Kim Seidenwand says:

I was sent the link to the crochet pattern on Maggie’s Crochet by the person at the help desk that answered my email asking for help finding the pattern. It has a different name, but she says it is the same pattern. Christmas Wrapping Afghan: http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/christmas-wrapping-afghan-crochet-pattern
    It is a free pattern.

12. if anyone has a copy of this pattern Icy Snowflake Afghan could you pm it to me here on fb or send it to my email at fmw_jew@yahoo.com I would greatly appreciate it so much.. I’ve learned a valuable lesson. Always get a copy of pattern first or save it to one of my files.

13. Rosana says:

If you look in Ravelry under Icy Snowflake Throw (not afghan) you’ll find it.

14. Patti says:

It is truly terrible when things like this happen and crafters are caught in the crosshairs, but we can come together as a group and help each other!

15. Barbara Wall says:

This is so bad, I cannot believe that red heart would do this, They brought your Afghans to life and so many people are buying your yarn because of them. Well Red Heart, no more will I buy another red heart yarn. You do not hurt people, They do not make any money from any of their stuff ……They just love people and share, First time in my lifetime anyone has cared about us learning,, no one through of it .They were first
    Now your just jealous I was buying all my yarn from holly lobby because of The CrochetCrowd I went back to red heart .

• It is not Red hearts fault. A designer submitted the pattern and two years later another designer filed a copyright claim. Red Heart has to pull the pattern until the court case is resolved. Red Heart may choose not to spend the money to fight it and just keep it down.

16. I just downloaded the pattern from Ravelry

17. I have it saved as well. sabbath2366@gmail.com, or message me here on facebook.

18. Judy Garcia says:

I have it saved as a PDF file… if anyone wants it, you can PM me :)

19. Margie Hemingway says:

Did Redheart say what their problem was with you creating the tutorial/video? I thought you filmed it FOR Redheart – ? Seems unreasonable of them to discourage folks from sharing help in making one of their own patterns. I don’t get it.

• The pattern was removed from RedHeart.com… therefore the video had to come down as well.

• Maria Shaikh says:

Hi Mikey. I just checked and the pattern is still available on the Red Heart site as LW3102. I had been planning to download your video, just didn’t get around to doing it. Finally I got some time and started to look for it. Over the last two days I searched for the video on your website, on your You Tube channel, google… but couldn’t find it!! Thank God I checked your blog and found out that you had removed the video. Its a disappointment because I find your videos very helpful, but one does what one has to do. Thanks for letting us know that the video had been removed.
        Regards
        Maria

20. Char says:

Thank you. I was able to print it too. I sure loved Mikey’s video though. I will miss working from the video because it made it so much easier.

21. brenda shiley says:

sounds like one of their designers c/o copyright infringement…and yes; you can get it on Ravelry.

22. Maryellen Young says:

Check this out…I think it is the same one but not positive:

23. Alison in Langley says:

I was just able to download the pattern from the Ravelry archives, so it is still there. You have to be a member (free) to get patterns.

24. Anna says:

I think I have both a print copy and a PDF copy saved on my tablet. and I know I have a lot of the pattern still stuck in my head. If someone has a question I’d be willing to help since mine is finished.

25. Holly Springer says:

The pattern is showing up on Ravelry.com. I’ve just printed it out — before Red Heart becomes aware that it is still available there.

• Char says:

I tried getting it from Ravelry.com and could not open it. I have two afghans started in different colors. So disappointed.

• Cori says:

I found it on Ravelry, too. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/icy-snowflake-throw was the link I used. If you do a Google search, you’ll find the pattern still available in several places, including this one…. http://redheart.projectricochet.com/free-patterns/icy-snowflake-throw

• Rhonda says:

I literally went on Ravelry right after I saw the post mentioning it and looked up Icy Snowflake Throw and it came right up so I bookmarked it saved to favorites and then printed one off just in case… Hope this helps

• The Ravelry.com pattern link still works but it isnt the revised version of the pattern.

• Tammy says:

Char, I just signed-on to Ravelry 2 minutes ago, found the pattern, and was able to print it. Did you click on the right link? It’s the one that says “This pattern is available for free: LW3102.pdf” I think it’s an Adobe document, so make sure you have that up to date.
        I hope it works for you.

• Holly Springer says:

I didn’t know there was a revised pattern, but the one I printed out from Ravelry does look a little different than the one in Mikey’s video. I’m going to make one block and see…. I also prefer the look of the variegated yarn Mikey used around the snowflakes instead of the solid colored borders on the pattern photo.

26. Thank you for your honesty. People can learn a lot from you….more than just how to crochet….you are a great example of how to stand up and do the right things in life, and be honest when doing it.

27. Kathy-Lynn says:

It happens… to have someone as great as you to instruct and help would be most useful for some of their projects. You are gracious people to do what you do ;)

28. Marcela says:

Thank you!!i …some times happen :D

29. so sorry to hear this I to am one of those that had saved the video and started but had other projects I had to get finished so was going to finish the snowflake afghan later :(

30. Suzanne Langlois says:

I printed the Snowflake Afghan pattern and I’m about half finished crocheting it. I don’t mind helping anyone else out with finishing their project. My email address is: luvs_starry_nights@yahoo.com

Suzanne Langlois

31. Msqito says:

I was wondering what happened to that project. I hadn’t started it yet, thankfully, but wanted to bookmark it for later.