Debate with Daniel and I over Crochet Pattern Usage

Sunset

Kincardine Ontario Canada, Lake Huron

Daniel and I have been talking a lot about patterns.

The question revolves around pattern books and magazines that have adult clothing inside. I see a lot of great designs but I am wondering how many people are actually going to grab a crochet hook and do the project?

Mikey’s Thoughts:

• I am of the belief that many people enjoy looking at the photographs but the chances of doing the patterns are highly unlikely here in North America when it comes to adult clothing. I feel the percentage of people who do the patterns for adult clothing is really low.

Daniel’s Thoughts:

• Daniel feels that my thoughts are based in North American principles of lack of time and value. He feels that the patterns of adult clothing is most likely to be done by a European, Chinese, and Middle Eastern individual. There are stronger in cultural values which help keep things like crochet alive and well by all ages. He says it’s possible they don’t see crochet as a craft but as a art form which changes the level of respect.

Daniel’s thoughts are based on the ideas of fashion, art and music seem to be more appreciated in Europe. When he looks at the mega shows for designing and the arts, the appreciation level as an entire society is enriched with enjoying life with work being a balance point.

My thoughts are that here in Canada and USA, we are exceptionally busy people. Some of us having two jobs to keep the roofs over our heads. We work ourselves to extreme exhaustion. Even if you are a Domestic Homemaker, the work never ends. We complete our crochet when we have time, which in many cases, isn’t a lot of time left over each day. I feel many of us do baby size projects and afghans as a society here in North America.

So the question are…

• How likely are you to do an adult article of clothing in a pattern book, internet website or magazine?
  • If you do adult clothing, what types of projects?
  • If you do use pattern, what are the projects you mostly look for and why?
About these ads

This entry was posted in Adult Clothing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Debate with Daniel and I over Crochet Pattern Usage

1. Being as I have only been crocheting for little over a year, I in the beginning found crochet clothing intimidating also. Not only were patterns intimidating but I couldn’t understand them! I understand more about knitting patterns than I do crochet and I haven’t knitted until this year (for the sake of one scarf pattern I wanted to do) for about 20 plus years! I also ended up becoming a clothing designer myself because of this.

The way I design all of my clothing patterns came about because of my lack of understanding of patterns and how sizing works. I design them so that anyone can grab a piece of clothing in their wardrobe and in each pattern teach them where and how to measure so they can get an exact fit for the garment pattern in question. All patterns are fully written out so that anyone can understand them (this is a point I am firm about). I am currently working on a summer lace cardigan pattern for my shop – https://www.facebook.com/ElsiesCustomCreations .

I find my point of view of crochet patterns and intimidation factor of great usefulness when designing the crochet clothing that I do because it teaches me to keep that point of view in my mind constantly when designing for others. To date now I have designed a dress, a skirt and top set, a jumper/sweater, lace summer top hats, scarves, blankets/afghans, and finger-less gloves.

Seeing the many responses similar to my own experiences to this blog article only cement that fact for me. I think people would be more willing to try making their own garments in crochet in their own homes if they knew that the patterns were easier to understand, a bit more repetitive, and that they were patterns that they could easily size to fit the person the garment is for.

2. Monica C says:

I love looking at the crocheted clothing and would love to make many of them but I stick to unshaped outerwear items like shawls, cowls,and scarves because shaping is such a problem. I need to have very specific measurements for the person who will wear it to make it look good because fitted clothing is so popular specially for young people. I would make clothing for myself and love to wear it but I am always hot, hot, hot – LOL. The other problem with clothing is that choosing the right yarn isn’t easy if you want the item to be soft and hang nicely but not lose it’s shape when worn or washed. My daughter keeps asking me whether there is stretchy yarn available. I’m retired now and have plenty of time so that’s not a problem. When I was a teenager, I made lots of fisherman sweaters but that’s knitting which I find much easier to shape smoothly.

3. Antoinette says:

I am new to crochet. Am from the US. Had a personal lesson, a couple years ago. But, really got the knack by watching some of the tutorials. Started my first project, from a Vtg dress pattern, in Feb. Finished it in a week. And, literally got hooked. Have since made close to 16 adult clothing items, and an afghan. I do prefer the clothing projects. Have always admired, bought, worn crochet items over the years. Never knew I’d be able to crochet my own. I do not work right now. That’s why I do have the time. I really love some of the Vtg dress patterns that I have found on the Etsy site. PDF too, makes it really simple. I am now forever hooked on crochet ;)

4. jonniestark says:

I am currently making a tank top from Crochet Today magazine. Most of the clothing I have made has been from magazines because I really like the professional look as compared to a garment I’ve designed. I agree with both of you though. The majority of the adult patterns I love are from European or Asian descent and I can’t read the patterns, however, from web surfing I think they probably make more actual clothing. In the US I think we probably make more “easy/fast” projects.

5. Adriana says:

I have made only a handful of garments. So most likely I would not making crochet clothing.

6. Gwen says:

My adult children have requested that I don’t make vests/skirts/shawls. It’s too old fashioned, however my grandchildren (teens) can’t wait to get clothing from me.

7. Short answer: (1) I am very likely to make adult clothing. (2) I like sweaters, tops, crochet and fabric used together (helps with the time issure), lace to wear over clothing to add style. I am beginning to see dresses in my near future. (3) I look for patterns that have interesting stitches, colors, and shapes that don’t require a lot of fitting as the recipient often lives in another city.

Over the years I have progressed from simple and fast patterns to challenging. I only make intricate and challenging afghans now, (usually wedding gifts) and adult clothing that presents a bit of a challenge. My people really appreciate a hand made, unique, article of clothing. My granddaughter and grandnieces will browse crochet patterns and beg for the one they simply must have!
    I am making a lot of baby stuff right now as my family is having a mini baby boom! I like some of the newer styles and brighter colors and ‘fun’ stuff! (Baby Bumble Bee).
    I say bring on some gorgeous patterns, like the ones I see written in Russian! (I can’t read Russian and the translation programs do not understand Crochet!)

As we go progress through life, we progress in our craft. There is a place for everything. Clothing items inspired me for a long time before I would actually make them.
    I do not belong to any particular ethnic group. Being a typical Canadian, I probably belong to them all! lol

8. TAMMY sheppard says:

i have never done clothes til last year when my daughter-inlaw wanted me to make my granddaughter a birthday dress.ive made doilies tablecloths ,muriels.but never close.it was scary at first,now im working on her second birthday dress.

9. Janice Whitby says:

I will, despite being an extemely busy mother and homemaker, do garments and others. there are times when I attempt to sit down and work on WIPs, I get interrupted alot by my family. It’s reality.

10. Margie says:

I am still a fairly new to crochet. I started because I wanted to make gifts for a baby shower I was attending. I love creating something special and unique for others. I have since crocheted several afghans, beanies, bags, and a shawl. I have printed a pattern for a summer weight jacket (lacy) and ordered the recommended yarn for it; I have to admit I am apprehensive to start because I don’t want to “mess up” lol! I have found the amount of yarn needed for adult sized items to be costly. I don’t have a “stash” built up yet. I do have the desire to try sweaters and other wearables.

11. I make 1 or 2 Cropped Bomber Jackets a year to sell. Which I got from “Crochet”. I like making clothes more then working on Afghans.

12. Pat says:

I do look at the pictures in the magazine and wish I could do them. I have tried on multiple occasions to make adult clothing. They don’t turn out like the pattern and create anxiety. The only piece of clothing I had turn out was a baby sweater and I had a step by step tutorial. I find the shaping is tedious.

I would love to do clothing…just not as comfortable with it as I am with afghans

13. The biggest demand I have for items are for baby items and afghans…. I have a daughter who would look marvelous in some of the items I have seen, but my confidence level in actually making them is low so I do not attempt them. Time isn’t an issue for me as I am disabled and have all the time I want. I would willingly make anything for my daughter, if she would wear it. Maybe I should get over my “fear” and just try it! I am sure there are a few things she would love to have!

14. I’m in the U.S., and I love looking at crocheted adult clothing. I have never made adult clothing in crochet, although I did make my daughters matching crocheted jingle-bell sweaters one year. (They threaten me on pain of death to not make them anything like that ever again! lol) The problems I have with adult crocheted clothing is 1) I feel like most of the patterns look great on the skinny models but sized to fit me and/or most of the adults I know would look horrible; 2) A lot of crocheted adult clothing patterns I see are just not functional here in Ohio, i.e. they’re too open, not warm enough, etc.; 3) I would never attempt to sell any adult crocheted clothing in my area because it would absolutely not sell for what it’s worth. At craft shows/church bazaars around here, you’re lucky if you can get the price of your yarn plus $5 for something like a purse/tote bag. Having said all that, I honestly wish that our society did have more “old-fashioned” values and could appreciate the time and talent it takes to MAKE anything, whether by crochet, knitting, sewing, sculpting, beading, or anything else. Sometimes I like to fantasize about the world getting hit with a couple of EMPs (electro-magnetic pulses) so that nothing electronic will work, including the cash registers at stores, and we get sent back to a bartering society. I could survive. :)

15. Becky says:

I agree that the main issue is time. Also, I don’t feel I have enough experience to crochet clothing, though I would LOVE to attempt it. I have collected a lot of patterns, but have not tried any yet. I think I would be more willing to start something like that if I had a good tutorial to follow. Some of the clothing from the Russian and Japanese patterns are so beautiful. But they do not show you how to put it all together. I also have the fear that I would spend all that time and then it would not fit right!

16. Debra Houser says:

Yes. I would and do make adult clothing articles from magazines. Especially IF the pattern has sized in the large sizes as well. I will make the articles for myself or my daughter , neice. My neice gets the more “funky” items she is a clothes horse and loves items that are different. She is tall and lean and can wear anything. I love to find things that are challenging that she would like. But I am finding it more difficult to find crochet items if like to become more proficient in my knitting skills as I’ve been crocheting over 43 years. I feel adult patterns in knitting are abundant as to crochet

17. Denise Baillie says:

I have made a few sweaters; and I plan to make more. My next clothing project will be the sweater wrap on the cover of interweave crochet Fall 2011 you can see it on this link: http://eimages.interweave.com/products/240/C1109.jpg

18. Even though I have been crocheting for 4 months, I have hundreds of apparel patterns in my library. The only things that are stopping me is the price for the amount of yarn to make it and not knowing enough about yarn to substitute what is suggested. My goal is to make several pieces and display them so that my family and friends know that crochet is not just for hats. gloves, scarves, shawls, etc. They will have a better appreciation for the art.

19. Hen Marshall says:

I have made adults sized items but only when they were particular things (usually gifts) where I made the special effort. There are a lot of factors that are involved, time and money being the most important. Lack of patience: I might love the pattern but I get bored if it takes too long without any variety and I find myself looking for other smaller, quicker items to do. Style: I am not enamoured of a lot of North American style as it seems to be chunky and simplistic so while I might think it is cute, I by-pass. After putting in all that effort, while I love to see items being used, it hurts to see them worn out or destroyed. I just spent two weeks designing and working out a new shade cover for my lawn chair and it looks great, but I will be lucky if it lasts for two summers and the thought of all those hours of work to just be thrown away when the time comes makes be wonder if it is worth it. That being said, if I had the body to enhance that blue gown (and a place to wear it), I would start on it tomorrow. ;-)

20. Valerei A says:

For me what I make depends on what captures my interest. I currently have 3 shawls (just finished the one for the challenge, but I wouldn’t have made that one except for the challenge. I don’t usually make things with lots of parts. The other two are knit caught my attention enough that I had 3 going at the same time. Not usual for me. as for other adult garments, I do think that how busy we are is a factor but I also think that garments are a bit more intimidating for some. Also the cost of materials is a factor I think. If I am going to invest time and resources into a project I want it to be something that looks and feels like a quality garment when I am finished with it. Just my opinion here but I also don’t see a lot of garment patterns that I like enough to consider making. I do find lots of shawls, scarfs, and hats. But not as much for sweaters, skirts, etc. I don’t mean there is a lack of patterns, more a lack of patterns that I like enough to make.

21. tamie says:

In Adult clothing, I have only made 2 items for my daughter. I guess I am like alot of north american people. I do a ton of baby blanckets, and jackets for babies, booties, adult slippers, scarves, ect. but not adult clothing. I collect tons of patterns in hopes to some day make them tho.

22. Rosa B. says:

Here in the U.S crochet is making a come back but at the same time resources are slim, I enjoy crocheting with others and have even started a local group to get together. I personally don’t have the patience for clothes, aside from blankets, scarves, scrunched, I’ve done crochet plant hangers/slippers but mainly stick to what I know as a mom of 3 it’s easier, it’s a rare to come across crochet clothes. If we had more resources here clothes would be huge

23. Amy Fox says:

The only adult thing I’ve made twice now, is the Granny Square Hooded Jacket, by Maggie Weldon. I am eyeballing a summer chevron dress though. I would love to make more adult apparel, but get super nervous on the armhole shaping. I’ve made many baby sweaters though. I can read patterns okay, but hesitate especially with paid patterns, because what if I spend all the money for an item, and come to find out it turns out horrible? I’ve had an WIP for quite some time, because the sleeves do not match up no matter how many times I’ve reworked it. I’ve chalked it up to bad pattern writing. I do love the challenge though.

24. Suzy Notting says:

In relation to our group, Addi King Loomers and Knits, I find our members are more interested in the adult patterns. I hear often when a baby item is posted that they wished they had a little one to do that project for but not many do. So If I had to choose, I would say that the adult patterns are slightly at a more advantage. When an adult item of a pattern is viewed, it gets the inspiration going on what they can create for themselves. The quickest and easiest is the best, otherwise if its is too much of a challenge, most people would just dismiss it as being too difficult.

It has been my experience that pictures of patterns inspire people, it gets their mojo going. They see a picture of a pattern and that gets those creative juices going. Most people are visual learners I think, when it is illustrated on how to do it, then it becomes more of a reality to most folks that they can actually do it. This is why how to videos are such in high demand in any craft.
    When there isn’t a large picture to view the item, it is passed by very easily and it doesn’t quite get that inspiration going… Its like food, if you have a big visual picture, its more appealing and this is why we have advertisements…..;)

I think a lacy designs are more appealing to most folks. As for what is most popular to make? Hats, Scarves, Shawls, slippers, dishcloths, afghans and easy sweaters are by far the best because of a busy life style. People are looking for something that is attractive and fast, something that they cant necessarily buy in a store and that they can proudly wear knowing they have created it.

Suzy
    Addi King Loomers and Knits

25. I’m so glad you posted the question and I feel better about myself as a crocheter having read the comments. Yes I usually stick to afghans or crochet patterns that repeat themselves because I don’t have the time to do anything other than “easy or beginner” items. Also I find that most crochet clothing patterns are either too complicated or just impractical, something I personally would never wear. I look at the magazines and want to do a lot of awesome looking things but then I just end up doing something else that’s simpler. I crochet mostly at night when I have an hour of downtime, I’m tired and maybe watching TV so there’s no way I would attempt anything that needs a lot of focus and concentration. Crocheting would then become stressful
    rather than a relaxation technique for me.

26. Vickie says:

I have crocheted slippers and started knitting a skirt (3/4 of the way and got bored). I think you are correct, we NA’ers are too busy; however, I think it’s also a fashion issue. Crochet is commonly considered “old people stuff” and it’s not the “in thing”. No one wants to be seen in crochet outside of their home. Our society has become more obsessed with what money can buy than the appreciation and respect of something made by the heart using the hands. That could be your next challenge! Pictures of crochet clothing worn out in public!

27. Gillian Walker says:

I live in the UK and the cost of yarn is to expensive to crochet adult clothing, I can buy a dress for approx 15 dollars, so most people cannot afford the yarn. Baby cloths seem to be a little different as most people will pay for a nice baby jacket or dress. The logic is a nonsense as baby will only use it for a few months where as adult clothing will last many years, I fail to understand them. I try to make a living from selling handicrafts but they are well under valued int the UK.

• Jane says:

Tell me about it. I’m in the UK too. I agree selling handicrafts is very under valued. I have a stall where I sell hand crocheted items and handmade jewellery. I don’t make big items of crochet cos you just can’t sell it for what it is worth. I make accessories and bags and purses. people look at them and love them but look at the price tag and my items magically turns into a lead weight.. I don’t think £12 – £15 for a crocheted handbag is a lot to ask!!! I sell crochet brooches for £2-3.. problem is there are so many shops selling cheap imports that people forget the true value of quality items.
      If I was to make a tunic or dress it would have to be for myself and I would do it for the love of crochet and satisfaction of completing it and not think about how much it’s cost to make.

28. Sue Kohler says:

I think you both have valid points. From my own perspective, I tend to make things for myself and close friends/family. If I’m going to invest all that time and money into something it won’t be a dress/skirt that I WILL snag and probably ruin. I would stick with sweaters or vests. Our weather here in the Pacific Northwest is mild enough year round that I rarely resort to hats or scarves and most of my friends/family have enough of them. Time to find a charity to make things for :)

29. Rosemary Racine says:

I have knit and crochet large projects, tablecloths and adult sweaters, and I always have a large project on my hook or needle. That being said, because I do need quicker gratification, I also always have a smaller project going at the same time. I love knitting and crocheting baby and toddler things for my grandchildren and neice’s and nephews so I don’t let a large project get in the way of that. I set aside a specific time for the larger project, usually an hour a day. Right now I’m working on a formal tablecloth for a wedding gift, crocheted in motifs. It will probably take a year or so to complete. My thoughts are that most people feel a year or so to finish something doesn’t give one the satisfaction of completion. It’s an issue more of accomplishment of the art than in the art, and that’s hard to get when it takes a long time to finish a project.i also think true art is in the eye of the beholder, and everything made with love can be a treasure for generations eg: when my daughter had her first child, I gave her the sweater set that I had made to bring her home in. Thanks for listening :) Rosemary

30. I think Daniel is on the right track. I’m sure North Americans probably don’t do adult garments out of necessity. I’ve never crocheted a garment in the many years I’ve been crocheting, adult or otherwise. Not that I haven’t considered it. Sizing is my main concern. I wouldn’t want to put days worth of work, and the cost of yarn/thread into something that, in the end, won’t fit properly.

31. Bev T says:

I have done some adult clothing in the past. Vests for the guys, cardigan for myself but it’s been awhile. I don’t worry about IF I can do it, it’s just will I wear it when I’m done, I think now crochet clothing is trendy, so will probably try it again.

32. Lori Kirkland says:

I agree with Lynn. I have noticed that the younger generation of my family are more interested in the things I crochet if they are not afghans. My youngest daughter asked me if I would crochet her a swimsuit, my great niece wants a skirt, they don’t just want slippers or scarves now. Maybe it is because thanks to Mikey my crocheting has expanded to more than just afghans and scarves.
    I would have never attempted say a tunic in the past but I went in search of a pattern for my girls in the family and made a tunic for my Grand daughter and I was so proud of myself that it really did turn out nicely, and now all the girls want their special item. The question now is “Can you or will you make this or that, that they have seen on pintrest or in a magazine.

33. Lou Ann says:

I have bought a few patterns for swimwear that I would LOVE to make. For one, as you mention, is the time issue. The second is they are a bit intimidating to me when it comes to the work involved. I really want to finish one item that I could wear.

34. Rhonda says:

I agree with Daniel. Most of the items that I like online — when I click on them, they’ve been created by someone in Japan or Russia. I feel like In North America, we just don’t want to commit that kind of time to an article of clothing. Why not just run to the mall and spend a few bucks on a sweater that will have a nice drape instead of making one that’s stiff and boxy looking. NOW MIND YOU … when I see a garment that’s been made in crochet with nice style and drape, and the pattern is free, I will download it every single time! ha ha. Haven’t made anything yet other than baby clothes, but there will come a day when I actually will make myself something. Mark my words! :-)

35. Christine Brownlie says:

I have been working on a sweater for my sweetie for about six years. One of my issues is that when it is done he won’t like/wear it so it is difficult for me to put in the time. I also worry that it won’t be the right size (yes I check my gauge). I’ve knit other simple things that came out well, but this sweater is an albatross around my knitting needles!

36. Carolyn LaFevers says:

Would! Oh my I should proof read! LOL

37. Carolyn LaFevers says:

I did make a bathing suit coverup last week….But I couldn’t wear it, lol. I made a small. Improbably wouldn’t make garments other than baby items. It’s not practical or affordable. The REALLY good yarn that I wood consider using for clothes is way out of my league. but I do Love Love to see the pics of what others do :-)

38. Ruth Wiginton says:

The only thing I’ve done in adult clothing are sweaters. I see those gorgeous patterns for the dresses and think…Sizing would be a problem if I started that and then I back away…back to sweaters. On some sweater patterns I’ve had to add about 4 inches to the pattern to make it long enough for the look on the cover. I don’t know where I go wrong because my guage swatch is always right on or a hair larger.

39. Karen L says:

Having been stuck in the rut of making granny squares, afghans, and baby blankets for years, I have recently decided to try to incorporate a few different patterns in my crocheting. I recently made a shawl as a gift for someone and have started a summer vest for the same person. I often find patterns that I think or lovely and would like to do for myself, but tend to put them off in favor of doing for others. I’m disabled so my life is not that busy any longer. When it was so super busy (working two jobs), I concentrated mostly on hats, squares for charity, and baby blankets. Now, I am trying to add to my charity crafting and crafting for others. Just can’t seem to find the motivation to get started on those projects for me. Maybe if I lost weight is my go to reason but honestly, I think it is the fact that I value others more than myself.

40. Kathryn Broadfoot says:

I’ve recently gone back to crochet since retirement. I regained my skills by working first on small, simple projects. Then I discovered adult clothing and am really excited about the challenge and the finished product. I’ve purchased some books and e-patterns and have started on Paton’s “light layers tank” in black. Now I’ve hit a snag and am not sure where to turn for help. Perhaps a short drive to Walkerton??? Regardless of snags, I remain exited about this direction.

41. Jane says:

I’m in the UK. I don’t do adult clothing that much because often they take too long. I am one of the lucky ones were I work part time and I do have a lot of time to crochet, but I like things that are quick and easy. I think a lot of people are just too busy though. Also I think it’s more to do with fashion. for a long time crochet and knitted items weren’t seen as fashionable, although it’s starting to pick up again, but I have to say that MANY patterns don’t actually appeal to me as something I would wear myself. Also once you start adding up the cost of making your own clothing it can start to become pricey and it’s far easier to go buy something in the shops. they may not be as nice but a cardigan for £10 sounds a lot better to my husband than say £60 + on something I’ve made myself.
    having said all that one of my many projects is a cardigan for myself which is my own design and I’m not following any pattern, but it’s not growing fast because I have so many other projects on the go.

42. Tenille says:

I’m a stay at home mum to a 4 month old as well as working a few night shifts each week in a kitchen and I crochet when I can. Haha. But the only reason I haven’t tried an adult clothing garment is because it intimidates me a little. But if I found the right pattern I would go for it. Even if it took me a few months to finish.

43. whydiss says:

I have mainly crocheted large blankets or afgan because I don’t want to think to much about what I am doing and I enjoy the repeatative motion of repeating the same pattern over again.

On occasion I have completed more complicated patterns which are smaller projects usually in the summer months when it is to hot to sit with a large afghan on your lap.

Would like to learn how to crochet clothes but lack the time & patience.

44. drmrsmusings says:

I would love to make clothing and have tried two patterns, but apparently I really suck because neither pattern worked out for me haha. I like light weight lacy patterns the most. The main problem for me is having enough time to concentrate on what I’m doing. Even though I don’t work outside the home I have people and pets constantly demanding my attention. So in the end I make things that are fairly simple and sadly stay away from making clothing.

45. Valerie McClintock says:

Interesting discussion, Mike. I’m pretty new to crochet, starting my first project almost exactly a year ago. Since then, I have made a number of afghans, which I have then given as gifts. I get several of the monthly crochet magazines and do enjoy looking at the adult clothing patterns and marveling over them, but I’m really quite intimidated by them. I’m sure I will make a sweater or tunic at some point, but don’t feel that I have the skill to take it such a project on yet. I certainly wouldn’t do it because I needed something to wear…I think it costs more in terms of money and opportunity costs than simply buying retail. I would do it for the challenge, artistic outlet, and opportunity to learn.

46. Sandi Bowers says:

To Mikey & Daniel,
    My personal opinion on crocheting adult clothing patterns:
    I would like to crochet vests, dresses, skirts, etc. But, there’s a big “but” for me. I have no, repeat no confidence in myself to do it. I have found no crochet classes available here in the part of Florida, where I reside. People are pre-occupied. I would be lost without your educational tutorials. Crocheting keeps me sane.. I’m unemployed, which stresses me to the max.
    Do you think you will post a tutorial on the dress?
    Thanks a million,
    Sandi

• Evelyn Overman says:

Sandy,
      I was at a Stitches West Conference earlier this year and I found something one of the instructors said very interesting, Knitters are confident and crochet people are not. I wondered about that for a long time, the only thing I came up with is that while knitters always have their stitch count in front of them (on the needle) crocheters have to stop everything and count the stitches on the garment. But like you, if I am in a class I can do it but often feel unsure when trying something on my own.

47. Sheila McCoy says:

I do try some of the adult patterns but find they have a tendency to be very small sizes, even if I use the largest option. It has nothing to do with what I have to do around the home or how busy I am. If I like the project, I’ll try it.

48. Lynn says:

Idk, I see a resurgence of handmade things in my community and I for one, have been gathering patterns for adult clothing. I’m hoping others will follow, I’m focusing on summer tops right now.

49. DanielleB says:

I probably only make 1 or 2 adult size garments a year, usually a pullover or cardigan. Mostly now I make socks for hubby, and things for my grandchildren ( now that I have them.) And cowls, scarves and shawls…I must admit my garments are usually from the dark side( cough, cough)